Add ground filtering plugin (CSF) to the official repository of cloudcompare

Questions related to plugins development
Haowyr

Re: Add ground filtering plugin (CSF) to the official repository of cloudcompare

Post by Haowyr »

Downloaded the last version and I find it pretty slow compared to the development version I found previously.

If it is possible, I'd like to see a new option to the plug in: right now, after you used it, the plug in creates 2 differents files so I have to manually add a new SF as "class", add a value for each point cloud (1 for ground, 2 for non-ground for example) and then merge both clouds together. I think it could be very helpful to add an option to check to directly create merged cloud!

Otherwise, I'm using this plug in a terrestrial scans and it works pretty nicely, except of course for the "flying" parts of it ;)

Great job
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Add ground filtering plugin (CSF) to the official repository of cloudcompare

Post by daniel »

Pretty slow?! Can you post the timings that appear in the Console? (the various phases now appear with the corresponding timing).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Haowyr

Post by Haowyr »

Here is a little table for comparison between the latest release AND the experimental version I found and posted on the forum

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Parameters | Experimental version(min:sec) | Latest Release(min:sec) | t2/t1 |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Relief + Slope processing | 1:00 | 2:40 | 2.7 |
| 2.0 / 500 / 0.5 | | | |
| Relief + Slope processing | 2:50 | 21:30 | 7.6 |
| 1.0 / 500 / 0.2 | | | |
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Steep slope + Slope processing | 0:42 | 2:37 | 3.7 |
| 2.0 / 500 / 0.5 | | | |
| Steep slope + Slope processing | 2:10 | 20:30 | 9.5 |
| 1.0 / 500 / 0.2 | | | |

Time is roughly manually measured. Next is the screenshot for the last test of the console with the latest release.

daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ah! There's obviously something wrong with the 'Rasterize' step ;).

Can you maybe send your cloud to me? I guess it has someting to do with its configuration...
Haowyr

Post by Haowyr »

Exactly what I noticed too. I'm looking for a way to upload the point cloud and send it to you ;)

EDIT: Done by email!
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I haven't received it. Can you try: daniel.girardeau [at] gmail.com ?
Haowyr

Post by Haowyr »

Yup, my mail failed and I didn't realized before this morning, it should be now in you inbox at 'cloudcompare@danielgm.net' but I send it on your other email adress ;)
wpqjbzwm

Post by wpqjbzwm »

@Haowyr Are yo applying CSF to terrestrial Lidar data? How many points in your point cloud. Usually, terrestrial Lidar data contains too many points, which may slow the rasterization process, since it needs to find the nearest points. Another problem is the setting of cloth resolution. When it is increased from 2 to 1, the cloth particle will be increased by a factor of 4.
Haowyr

Post by Haowyr »

Yes I am, but on a parsed terrestrial cloud, the cloud I sent Daniel is just under 1 million points, it actually works pretty correctly. I totally get the *4 factor when I'm changing the size of the cloth resolution.
What I was pointing was the difference between the two versions of the plug in, which, at least in my mind, shouldn't be worse in the official release, maybe even faster as Daniel explained he deleted some useless steps in the script.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

It's probably a bug due to the modifications I made to 'increase' the speed :D. I'll fix this asap.