Render image max size

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
jfhullo

Render image max size

Post by jfhullo »

Hi there,

can you tell us what is the maximum size (resolution) for an image using Render to file, cause CC chrashes when image seems too large.

JF
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Render image max size

Post by daniel »

In fact the max size depends mainly on the available memory on your graphic card. But if you "overflow" it shouldn't make CC crash (so we could speak of a bug here ;)

What's the size at which the crash occurs?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
jfhullo

Post by jfhullo »

Using an iMac, it crashes around 7000+ pixels. I tried to make a large render of an orthographical view using new scale parameter ;)

This is really useful to produce a "map" in th TopView, but I can 't get really nice resolution, except if I make many exports and then stitch them in a third party soft.

Thanks for answering Daniel.

JF
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

<troll mode on>On iMac?! Does those things even have decent GPUs ;)</troll mode off>

You should test it on another configuration. With my GeForce GT 640M (on a DELL laptop) I can go up to 15200 x 7300 pixels (~128 Mo pixels / corresponds to 9x zoom). Above 9x zoom I get an error message (so what bugs me a little is that CC crash on your side...).

What's your graphic card by the way?
jfhullo

Post by jfhullo »

Ouch, I have to admit that this object, an iMac, is absolutely not a decent computer. It just has a chipset (Intel Iris 5200) that shares up to 1Go of RAM.
BUT, please note that this computer is only my home-internet-movie platform... :)

If this issue, as it seems, is only related to the graphic card specs, this is not a problem anymore, i'll use a better one!

I don't know if there is a way to estimate the max resolution before starting the export, to prevent from fail or crash.

JF
Aitor

Post by Aitor »

Hi,
I do not get to obtain a high resolution image with Render to file command . I read that it may be for the grafic card.I think it's not my problem; my graphics card is Nvidia GforceGTX980 .

When I try to keep at a high resolution (Zoom X5 ), the image is saved with a lower resolution. CloudCompare displays the following error message:
[cc GLWindow::renderToFile]OpenGL error:invalid operation

and while stored on the console to a high-resolution, photo has not high-resolution

¿¿¿What is the problem???I'm going crazy ;)

Thanks
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Even high-end graphic cards have a limit of 64 Mb per texture (therefore depending on the screen size you might hit this limit with a zoom of X5).

Is it working with a zoom of X4?

Otherwise can you post the following information:
- the graphic card model and manufacturer that is displayed in the Console when you start CloudCompare
- the OpenGL version
Aitor

Post by Aitor »

Hi,
I've tried all the zoom. The only thing that gives good results is the zoom X1 but the resolution is low and I need higher resolutions.
GL version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 355.82
Graphic card manufacture: NVIDIA Corporation

Thanks
Aitor
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

This is weird indeed. What version of CC are you using? The 2.6.2? And on which OS?
Aitor

Post by Aitor »

The version of CC is 2.6.1 and the OS is Windows10

For example, when I save an image with Zoom X3 ( 2658x1695 ), the image size is saved with only 172 kb