Exporting a 16bit heightmap?

Feel free to ask any question here
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Exporting a 16bit heightmap?

Post by daniel »

When rasterizing the original cloud, which parameters did you use?

Especially which grid cell size and which cell projection method?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
jfosh

Post by jfosh »

Hi,

I'm late to this thread. But I am running into the exact same problem as the other user. I was wondering if anyone knew a solution to this problem?

Thanks.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

So same answer: would you be able to share some data / cloud with me, and the exact parameters you used to generate the raster geotiff image?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
jfosh

Post by jfosh »

So. I found a separate solution. My understanding is that CloudCompare exports in 64bit geotiff. Unreal Engine specifically uses 16bit grayscale heightmaps for it's landscape features. TerreSculptor doesn't import 64 bit Geotiff, only 32bit and down. I suspect the problem with terracing comes from the extra step of bringing the 64bit geotiff into QGIS and saving it as a 32bit RGBA geotiff in order to bring it in to Terresculptor. This conversion must do something wacky to the height data.

That being said, the workaround was bringing the 64bit geotiff produced from cloudcompare into QGIS and exporting the heightmap from there. This isn't an inelegant solution by any stretch, and produces great results. So this would be my recommendation to anyone trying a to find a similar solution.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

I got the same terrace effect once in Civil 3d. The problem there was a missunderstanding of , and .

The numbers were in format 1234,45 124255,12 1232,23 which is very common in germany and austria. It mostly happens when you are exporting with excel to csv.

When reading the file in Civil 3d it took only the 1234 without the digits after the "," so i got only integer values thus created a terrace.

Maybe its the same for you?