Lost Y Coordinates of a Cloud after importing

Feel free to ask any question here
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Lost Y Coordinates of a Cloud after importing

Post by daniel »

Ok I got the data.

The OS X version seems quite buggy indeed. The first bug seems to come from the OBJ import (fractional part of coordinates is truncated - I'll try to guess where the bug comes from but as I work only on Windows and Linux - both versions seem to work - it might be a bit hard). The second one is even more tricky...

Thank for the feedback anyway.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
thp

Post by thp »

Please check out the .obj closely, cause I've heard that .obj files created in cinema messed up with some other 3D software when exported with older Cinema Versions (I think they fixed it - but I'm not sure, and can`t compare it with different .obj files). For a propper -obj export there was a plugin for Cinema called riptide which does'nt work anymore with its free version up from Cinema Release 9 (Im on Realease 13) - Thats why I asked you if the .obj files were OK a few posts ago..... so there was a known problem with cinema .obj files in former times.

thp
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

The first obj file you posted on the forum was ok (and I could open it perfectly on Windows).

I've changed the OBJ loader on the master github branch (there's other OS X related bugs currently being corrected in the OS X branch of Ken Mankoff...). Tell me if it changes anything.
thp

Post by thp »

Hi - and sorry for my late reply,
but I did'nt expected you do do changes so fast. I just compiled it and reimported/exported the .obj and txt .files

Here is a new zip file with the old and new results to compare:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88854521/obj2txt.zip

Ill delete the link when you give a not that you've got it.

thp
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ok I got the dataset.

It's much better now! I'm glad this solves the issue.

Now what about Solidworks? Do you still miss the Y dimension while importing ASCII files?
thp

Post by thp »

Hello,
I checked it today. Some Y coordinates are there, but when I open the platonian object txt file, its much increased in Y-dimension and was reduced to 8 points - 4 of them on the same Y-level and the other 4 as well on the same Y-level much higher. Its weired cause i n the text file I can see, that there are 12 coordinates. I dont know what happened to the other 4 Points. IThe original the .obj file was 100 cm in each dimension.

When you compare the points of the platonian body - what you get when you export the .obj on windows (you've posted it earlyer) with what I get by exporting it on OSX - you can see that its still different.....

When I open the exported .txt file the new_orange.obj I get the error:
The size of the model expanded the scale (-500,0m, 500,0m). Check if you´ve choosen the correct settings...

The original .obj was 282.686 mm, 136.006 mm, 194,275 min original

could'nt figure out what to change in the import settings of SolidWorks, none of the changes in the scaling system have any effects.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Have you removed the normals before importing? Maybe SolidWorks doesn't now what to do of the 3 columns on the right?