Entry Point Not Found Error

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
Laserbrain

Re: Entry Point Not Found Error

Post by Laserbrain »

Haha. Good luck! :O
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ok. So it seems the issue is due to a conflict between the FARO LS SDK and GDAL (used to load and save rasters). They both use the same library, but different versions, and they both rely on a different DLL, one is next to the executable, and the other is in the FARO LS distribution folder (C:\Windows\WinSxS\...).

I updated the Faro LS SDK (to version 1.1.704.2 - just in case) and I updated GDAL as well. On my side, I don't have the issue anymore, but I'm not super confident (such issues can be very tricky to 'solve').

I updated the 2.11.alpha version, I'll let you test.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Laserbrain

Post by Laserbrain »

I'm getting the same entry point not found error here, using the news CC alpha.

Is this the correct link to the latest alpha?

http://www.danielgm.net/cc/release/Clou ... up_x64.exe
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Yes probably... Can you test a little bit more this DLL conflict thing?

I believe the issue comes from the xerces-c_3_2.dll file. There's one version next to CloudCompare's executable, and one in the FARO SDK folder.

With the latest alpha version, the FARO SDK folder should be:

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_faro.ls_1d23f5635ba800ab_1.1.704.2_none_3592b3ab3569fa7d
So the test would be to remove (temporarily) one of the version, try to run CC, and see if the error persists (and if CC manages to start ;). Don't forget to put the file back after each test...

Can you tell me if removing one of them helped? (and of course which one).
Laserbrain

Post by Laserbrain »

I renamed the xerces-c_3_2.dll in the CC folder. Same error when attempted to load CC.

When removing the .dll from the WinSxS folder and trying to run CC I get an error - The code execution cannot proceed because ... xerces-c_3_2.dll was not found.

And I lack permissions to undelete the .dll :P
Crohlfing

Post by Crohlfing »

Having the same issue. Cant open Cloud Compare without getting this error.

The procedure entry point
?createSchemaDescription@XMLGrammarPoolIMPL@xercesc_3_2@@UEAAPEAVXMLSchemaDescription@2@QEB_S@Z could not be locaed in the dynamic link library C:\Program Files\Cloud Compare\gdal202.dll

If I uninstall Cloud Compare without the Faro LS plugin it will open no problem.
Crohlfing

Post by Crohlfing »

daniel wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:37 pm I updated the Faro LS SDK (to version 1.1.704.2 - just in case) and I updated GDAL as well.
What did you do to update just the GDAL?

For those of you that need to produce work in the meantime I had to roll back to version 2.9.1 and everything is working as normal.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Laserbrain wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:17 pm I renamed the xerces-c_3_2.dll in the CC folder. Same error when attempted to load CC.

When removing the .dll from the WinSxS folder and trying to run CC I get an error - The code execution cannot proceed because ... xerces-c_3_2.dll was not found.

And I lack permissions to undelete the .dll :P
Thanks for the test results! (to restore the DLL in the WinSxS folder, I guess you just have to install the FARO plugin again?)

So this confirms that there's a DLL conflict between these two. Too bad the GDAL license is too permissive, and Faro can use it in their product :p

I need to find a way to avoid this issue...
Laserbrain

Post by Laserbrain »

Can you think of any manual workaround to get back up to speed with FARO imports into CC, either with 2.10 or the alpha?

Uninstall and reinstall doesn't have any effect. :/

Thanks
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I believe the easiest move is to roll back the Faro SDK to a version that was not relying on the same version of Xerces (so back to 1.1.701).

I updated the 2.11.alpha version. Can you try and give an update?