ICP with rotation limited to Z returns identity matrix

Feel free to ask any question here
hamishharvey

ICP with rotation limited to Z returns identity matrix

Post by hamishharvey »

Hi,

In the research tab for ICP registration, there is an option to limit rotation to a particular axis. I'd like to allow rotation about Z (up) only, because I have two clouds that are already levelled.

I find that no matter how good (or bad) the initial registration, is, if I do this I always get the identity matrix back. Is this expected?

Is there any way to achieve a registration in CC that allows 3 axis of translation, and only one of rotation?

Thanks!

Hamish
daniel
Site Admin

Re: ICP with rotation limited to Z returns identity matrix

Post by daniel »

Not sure, It's a long time since I tried this. Those are old options (and by 'research' we mean that it's not stable / validated enough to be used by standard users). And I confirm that it's apparently broken...

We'll have to fix this!
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
riveryeti

Post by riveryeti »

I'd like to +1 the ability to constrain rotation to a single axis, or disable it entirely. We're trying to evaluate reconstruction geometry after correcting for vertical and horizontal offsets (due to position uncertainty) and would prefer to limit ICP registration to translation only.
bbm21

Post by bbm21 »

This still seems to be broken but would be very useful. Any update on getting this fixed?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Not that I am aware of!
Daniel, CloudCompare admin