Primitives not showing if in a group within a group

Feel free to ask any question here
jackkirk

Primitives not showing if in a group within a group

Post by jackkirk »

I'm trying to structure a great many primitives I create by grouping them - then grouping certain groups

I'm finding if I do this they become invisible

Is this a bug (2.12 (alpha)) or a limitation?

Is there any way round it?

Thanks...
jackkirk

Re: Primitives not showing if in a group within a group

Post by jackkirk »

Actually it is worse - if I put a primitive in a group (i.e. 1 level of nesting) then file the group, delete the group in CC then load the group again - the primitive is not visible
WargodHernandez

Post by WargodHernandez »

I'm not sure exactly how you are having this issue, I just verified on multiple different versions of cloud compare that there are no primitive visibility issues with primitives in folders/sub folders.
I've been using primitives in nested folders for several years.
can you offer a more detailed explanation?

or maybe send me a bin file where it isn't working like you expect? brown.s.chris AT gmail
jackkirk

Post by jackkirk »

Chris,

Sorry I may have been a bit hasty.

In the process of setting up a demo of the problem I shut down the current instance of CC and relaunched it - problem disappeared.

The CC instance I had up that I witnessed the problem in had been up for several days and, amongst other things, I was converting a whole lot of viewports from pre 2.12 (alpha) versions of CC.

I will now continue this exercise and see if the problem resurfaces - otherwise it may have to be consigned to one of llm.

Thanks...
jackkirk

Post by jackkirk »

Chris,

Well I was able to reproduce the problem.

I will try to outline as simple a scenario as possible:

1. I have a number of folders, each containing a sphere and a pre-2.12(alpha) viewport.
2. I open a typical folder and click the viewport then [Apply] - a "stunted" viewport appears.
3. I zoom in one notch on the mouse wheel the zoom out one notch - the "stunted" viewport is replaced by a normal viewport.
4. I Ctrl+V to generate a new viewport object.
5. I double click the original pre-2.12(alpha) viewport and Ctrl+c to put its name in the clipboard.
6. I double click the new viewport and Ctrl+v to change its name.
7. I right click the original pre-2.12(alpha) viewport and [Delete].
8. I single click and drag the new viewport into the original folder.
9. I file the folder, delete it then reopen it.

It doesn't happen the first time but if I repeat this sequence on a number of folders sooner or later when I open the folder the sphere will not be visible and I can find no way to make it so.

If I close CC then relaunch it then the spheres in the updated folders are visible.

I guess this does not rate highly as a bug but it might tie to something I am not aware of and you are (or subsequently become aware of).

I appreciate your patience...
WargodHernandez

if/when it happens again can you please check on the properties to make sure the "Current Display" value is set to "3D View 1" and not to "None"
jackkirk

Post by jackkirk »

Chris,

I have finished my viewport updating so may not experience the problem again for a whille.

Your suggestion would not explain why the spheres are visible again after closing CC and relaunching - or would it?

Regards...
WargodHernandez

The current display field isn't saved, when loading objects are assigned to the current display.
I've had it happen before when doing a task over and over again, just clicking slightly the wrong spot and or rolling the mouse wheel while the properties window has focus and the first item on the properties window can be the display.
It's not common but the first couple times it happened I was totally dumbfounded by how, I thought it was a big, like you did
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Another option is that the 3D view view or projection matrices are messed up / broken after playing with these deprecated viewports? Could you see any other spheres beside the disappearing ones?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
jackkirk

Post by jackkirk »

Chris, Daniel,

I have a deadline approaching so will have to leave this for now - if I come across it again I will look this up and try to more fully explore answers to your questions.