Referenced models not loading

Feel free to ask any question here
georef

Referenced models not loading

Post by georef »

Hi Daniel,

I'm currently working on a project involving geologic digital outcrop models. My current workflow is to build and georeference the mesh in Agisoft Metashape. When I try and open the model in CC the console processes and loads the mesh into the DB Tree but the model mesh never populates in the viewer. I'm having this issue on both the MAC and Windows side, as well as with both .obj and .ply meshes. Whenever I load in unreferenced models they populate fine. I've tried exporting the models in different coordinate systems, but nothing seems to work.

I know aligning the model in CC is an option but the textured meshes are roughly 2.5GB and for some reason, CC (my machine specs are perfectly capable of handling models this size) seems to really struggle with maneuvering (both rotations & zooming) the models.

I feel like I'm missing something really simple here.

Thanks for your help!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Referenced models not loading

Post by daniel »

2.5Gb ?! CC is definitely not a 'mesh' software, there's absolutely no optimization to manage such big meshes.

And for the other issue, do you accept the 'Global Shift' suggested by CC at import time? (when loading a georeferenced model)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
georef

Re: Referenced models not loading

Post by georef »

I feared that would be the case, thanks for the clarification. I opted for working with the mesh given that the dense cloud used to generate the meshes is even larger.

I managed to figure out the issue, the referenced models were in a geographic coordinate system. When I did a transformation to XYZ coordinates they loaded into CC just fine.

Thanks!