missing dll leads to bad installation--HELP!

Feel free to ask any question here
geo3D

missing dll leads to bad installation--HELP!

Post by geo3D »

I have been trying to get cloudcompare installed on a new HP laptop. It is a high end "mobile workstation"--HP Z studio with an nvidia graphic card. the main reason I bought this machine was to run cloudcompare with large point clouds, and experiment with using cloud compare for 3D mapping, so it is a bit ironic I have this problem. So let me elaborate on what I did.
Step 1: I did like I have done a dozen times using this program for instruction: I just downloaded the installer (v. 2.11.3) and ran it. when I tried to run it, I got an error:
the code execution cannot proceed because msvcp140.dll was not found. reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
step 2: followed this suggestion, tried reinstalling the program (tried the alpha version too). tried reinstalling c++ nothing.
step 3: I saw a suggestion to copy that .dll into the program directory where other dll's are present (cloud compare directgory that is). Note, the dll was present on the system, so this was just making a copy in the cc program directory
step 4: somewhere in there I quit getting a message about the missing dll, but instead got the message:
the application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application. (a generic windows message for a program not starting properly)

So I am stuck. Is this something to do with an incompatibility (machine that is too new?), a bug?, something else? Any suggestion?

here is a summary of my machine:

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10850H CPU @ 2.70GHz 2.71 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎6/‎28/‎2021
OS build 19042.1052
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.2020.0
Video card: Quadro RTX 3000

thanks for any information.
WargodHernandez

Re: missing dll leads to bad installation--HELP!

Post by WargodHernandez »

I'm not sure off the top of my head why there would be a missing dll for install but, out of curiosity can you try the 2.12 Alpha. (even though it is called alpha, it is pretty mature at this point).
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Yes, and if you still have an issue with msvcpXXX.dll, you'll just have to install manually the Visual Studio Redistributable packages (2013: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=40784 and 2015-2019: https://aka.ms/vs/16/release/vc_redist.x64.exe)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
geo3D

Post by geo3D »

Thank you thank you, that worked. fyi, the problem was that I had only loaded one of the c++ versions. Didn't realize there were two versions that needed to be loaded. Now I can get to work so thanks again