Simple way to extract 2D profiles?

Feel free to ask any question here
JavRR

Simple way to extract 2D profiles?

Post by JavRR »

Hello all,

This might be a silly question, but I am struggling to just obtain 2D profiles from my 3D pointcloud.

Considering a could section like attachment 1, I want to extract XY profiles from specific Z coordinates

According to the wiki, I would:
1- draw a polilyne (see attachment 2). But there are no numeric coordinates to position the line perfectly vertical
2- generate orthogonal sections along this path (att. 3)
3 - extract section profile (att. 4)

As you can see, this does not make the work. I end up with unfinished profiles, I guess because the ortogonal sections are wrongly placed

Am I missing something?
Thank you in advance
Attachments
4.JPG
4.JPG (25.58 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (70.02 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
2.JPG (71.04 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
1.JPG (86.55 KiB) Viewed 1699 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Simple way to extract 2D profiles?

Post by daniel »

Can you try with the Cross Section tool? This will be easier to set the direction and you can use the 'repeat' mode to extract the contours at the right pace/step.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
JavRR

Re: Simple way to extract 2D profiles?

Post by JavRR »

daniel wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2024 5:20 pm Can you try with the Cross Section tool? This will be easier to set the direction and you can use the 'repeat' mode to extract the contours at the right pace/step.
thank you for the answer, but tried that tool too and is not giving me the profiles I want.. here an example (image "a")

I will have to work with the data in Python. Actually the profiles in the Z-orthogonal plane are easy to obtain. But the ones from the X-orthogonal are not that trivial, because of how the points were recorded. You can see in the "b" image. There is no continuity and that means that the "X" coordinates fluctuate a bit between the several profiles in the Z direction
Attachments
b.JPG
b.JPG (211.53 KiB) Viewed 843 times
a.JPG
a.JPG (48.52 KiB) Viewed 843 times