Cannot load FARO fls files

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
vojtek

Cannot load FARO fls files

Post by vojtek »

Hi,
I am just starting my adventure with point clouds processing and CloudCompare in particular and I am enjoying that journey so far :)

However when I try to open FARO files I keep getting the same error (below) no matter what combination of installed software packages I try :(

[FARO] Failed to connect FARO LS runtime: cannot instantiate FARO Open Interface.

Before anyone ask:
- I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
- I use ClouCompare 2.6.1 64 bit
- I do have CloudCompare.exe.manifest

As I mentioned I used different combinations and installation methods (FARO SCENE installed and not installed, FARO LS SDK installed from CC installer and downloaded from FARO) but I keep getting the same error again and again...

Strange thing though: I use 64bit environment and both CC and SDK 5.3.3 are 64 bit howere in manifest I can see 'type=win32'...

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Cannot load FARO fls files

Post by daniel »

Here is what I know:
  • CC relies only on Faro LS SDK (5.3.3) and of course I would advise you to stick with the installer's version
  • The type=win32 is normal... even for Windows 64 bits (the important one is processorArchitecture='amd64'... even if you don't have an AMD processor - you can ask Microsoft developers why ;)
This kind of error is quite hard to diagnose... I myself have various version of the LS SDK installed on my computer and it works fine (this is all the point of the manifest file). And I don't even have Scene installed...
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
vojtek

Post by vojtek »

I have reinstalled CC and sticked to LS 5.3.3 as you suggested (and I originally started with) but still the same error...

will try on another PC...
vojtek

Post by vojtek »

Hi Daniel,
It seems it's all about registering DLLs...

I've followed the steps described by Si Horton in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW4KwNo ... e=youtu.be and despite the fact the video was about registering DLL's to work with Recap it did its job for CC too :)

I have registered the files from LS SDK (5.3.3) and now I can import FARO files directly into CC :)

One question though:
is it normal that when opening FARO fls file CC displays the following message?
CC-Colors.PNG
CC-Colors.PNG (8.61 KiB) Viewed 10823 times
I would expect CC loads both RGB and the scalar (reflection) as happens when PTS file is loaded...

Maybe some additonal DLLs should also be registered in the similar way?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Indeed, the SDK we are using impose to chose whether to load colors or reflection values (we can't get both... or we should read the file twice).

In the following version we may use another SDK though.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
twalkemeyer

Post by twalkemeyer »

I'm running v2.6.1 and can only import .fls files to the 32 bit version of the software. This would be ok except that I have several scans to work with and the 32 bit version cannot access enough memory to load them.
vojtek wrote:Hi Daniel,
It seems it's all about registering DLLs...

I've followed the steps described by Si Horton in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW4KwNo ... e=youtu.be and despite the fact the video was about registering DLL's to work with Recap it did its job for CC too :)

I have registered the files from LS SDK (5.3.3) and now I can import FARO files directly into CC :)
I've tried following the steps in the video with no success, however I may have missed something in adapting the instructions for CC

[EDIT]: Found my error and it's working now