Puzzled by GPU behaviour

Feel free to ask any question here
jackkirk

Re: Puzzled by GPU behaviour

Post by jackkirk »

Daniel,

I've now used this version and can report it works fine.

2 comments:

1. When you click on [Display]>[Reset all VBOs] it generates a console message:

You might want to disable the 'use VBOs' option in the Display Settings to keep the GPU memory empty

however there is no such option that I can find.

2. I'm pretty comfortable around PCs and as I started this little exercise I now understand what "Reset all VBOs" does. I suspect a lot of users may not - maybe a change of verbage to something like "Clear GPU RAM" or "Refresh GPU RAM" might be more meaningful - even if it is not exactly it does under the hood.

Thanks again...
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

1. The option is 'Try to load clouds on GPU for faster display'... I should have checked before writing this warning message!

2. Yep I agree. I just wanted to avoid making the users think that we would flush all the GPU memory (as we can only free the part we allocated). But probably something close to "Clear GPU RAM" would be better indeed.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
jackkirk

Post by jackkirk »

I have a fair idea of the problem - at one stage of my life I was part of a team of 10 software architects trying to manage the output of approx 400 programmers.

One of the problems was the programmers were too close to the code - and were always doing this sort of thing.

That's not a criticism, just an observed phenomenon - and I have been guilty of it myself.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Yes, in this case it's more that I spent as less time as possible on this new feature ;)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin