How do I import an FBX file with textures?

Feel free to ask any question here
meshdifferencing

How do I import an FBX file with textures?

Post by meshdifferencing »

I'm trying to use CloudCompare on an .fbx file, and my .fbx file has a .jpg with texture, was well as a .xml metadata file.

When I select my .fbx file for important, it loads as a white, blank 3D mesh without any textures.

How do I get it to load with textures? I tried selecting the .jpg and .xml files with the .fbx but that did not work.

Other file types, like .obj, work fine, as expected
daniel
Site Admin

Re: How do I import an FBX file with textures?

Post by daniel »

I don't know exactly how FBX works internally, but the sample files I have on my side have the textures incorporated inside themselves. There's no separated XML or JPG file. And the latest version of CC can correctly import their texture files.

How did you generate this FBX file?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
meshdifferencing

I'm generating the file using software that converts photos to 3D meshes. When I open the .fbx file with Windows 3D viewer, I can see the textures fine, but when I open it with CloudCompare, it appears blank (no colors)
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Can you share the FBX file with me then? (admin [at] cloudcompare.org)
meshdifferencing

As an aside, is it possible to change the opacity of the colors applied by the scalar fields? I want to use the compute distances feature to highlight certain parts of a mesh, but I would prefer to merely 'tint' the original color of the mesh with a certain color rather than overwriting its initial color completely
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

You can 'mix' the SF colors with the existing RGB colors (if they are per-vertex) with 'Edit > Scalar fields > Convert to RGB'. CC will ask you if you want to mix them with the existing ones, or just overwrite them.

Sadly it doesn't work with textures.
meshdifferencing

Mixing the colors is pretty much want I want to do, but unfortunately I can't get my colors to display properly when I import an FBX file, which I'm using because it supports vertex colors. Were you able to take a look at the sample file I sent you?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Yes, and I tried to update the FBX SDK to the latest version, but it didn't help loading the texture... I need to look at the documentation if there's something specific to do with such texture files.