How to pick a rotation center for Translate/Rotate tool?

Feel free to ask any question here
krizak

How to pick a rotation center for Translate/Rotate tool?

Post by krizak »

Hello all, hello Daniel,
I always have the point clouds coming from mobile scanner and the z-axis of the data is 100% correct (up). In order to manually merge them I use the Translate/Rotate tool. Is there a way how to pick the rotation center of the rotated cloud? Normally it is automatically picked in the center of the bounding box if I am right. Having the option to set the center of rotation to the specific place would help me a lot.
Thanks, Ondrej
daniel
Site Admin

Re: How to pick a rotation center for Translate/Rotate tool?

Post by daniel »

With the latest versions, you can double click on any point to make it the rotation center (+ you may have to deactivate the 'auto rotation center' picking mode in the left toolbar).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
ozRocker

Post by ozRocker »

krizak wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:33 pm Hello all, hello Daniel,
I always have the point clouds coming from mobile scanner and the z-axis of the data is 100% correct (up). In order to manually merge them I use the Translate/Rotate tool. Is there a way how to pick the rotation center of the rotated cloud? Normally it is automatically picked in the center of the bounding box if I am right. Having the option to set the center of rotation to the specific place would help me a lot.
Thanks, Ondrej
This does not work for the Translate/Rotate tool, even with latest version 2.12 alpha. The rotation axis is always defined by the bounding box. Changing rotation centre does not make a difference with this tool. Also, there's no way to change the position of the bounding box.

If anyone knows how to set rotation centre when using the Translate/Rotate tool, pls tell us! I've tried everything and cannot get it working.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Indeed, this tool doesn't use the camera/scene center of rotation (but the center of the selection bounding-box).
WargodHernandez

Post by WargodHernandez »

You should be able to use the advanced mode in the Translate/Rotate tool, that will let you select a "Translate Along" and "Rotate Around" objects, these can be polylines (as long as they only contain a start and end point), Planes, or CoordinateSystem primitives. if you create a CoordinateSystem and the translate it to the location you want your objects to rotate around. You can have the coordinate system as a sub object to the cloud you want to move and it will move at the same time while still being the center of rotation
ozRocker

Post by ozRocker »

Working with polylines is very difficult. I could not get it pointing in the direction I needed, but creating a plane was much easier, so I eventually got it working how I want it. Thank you!
JoernMay

Post by JoernMay »

So far I have used this workflow to rotate a point cloud around any point:

- I have determined the coordinates of the desired point with point picking tool.
- I created a polyline from two points with (these) X and Y coordinates and two different Z values
- I then used this polyline as a reference axis in the advanced settings of the Translate/Rotate tool.

If I can make a wish (right now just before Christmas :-)), it would be that I could enter the coordinates X, Y, Z of any point in these advanced settings, around which the point cloud is then rotated. That would be great!
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ah that's an interesting suggestion.

However, apart if a super motivated user jumps on this idea, it probably won't be ready for Christmas ;)
JoernMay

Post by JoernMay »

The reference to Christmas shouldn't provoke stress :-)

Is it basically conceivable that this suggestion will be implemented in the foreseeable future?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Hard to tell ;)

At least it has been added to the (huge) TODO list: https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudCo ... C/TODO.txt