Reading out the transformation after manual alignment

Feel free to ask any question here
TUMAAA

Reading out the transformation after manual alignment

Post by TUMAAA »

Hi Daniel,

I have following problem for which I havent found a solution in the forum:
Let's suppose that I have two point clouds which I have aligned manually in CC (for e.g. using "Apply Transformation" + some further manual alignment using rotations/displacements around/along specific axis). Mind you, I may have transformed BOTH clouds to get to a satisfying alignment. How can I then READ OUT the final transformations that describe the transformations of the point clouds w.r.t to their respective original version loaded at the beginning.

Thanks for your help. TUMAAA
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Reading out the transformation after manual alignment

Post by daniel »

Each time you perform a transformation (either graphically, or with the registration tools) the corresponding applied transformation is output to the console (so that you can copy and paste it in the "Edit > Apply Transformation" tool, and then apply its inverse to cancel it - or even apply it directly to another entity).

But if you do this multiple times... you'll have to manage the transformations history on your own. We don't track the global transformation since the origin as each time you click on apply/ok (with any of the above tools) CC will actually transform the point coordinates and forget about their previous state...

Of course you could try to use the ICP registration between the resulting cloud and the original one to get a single transformation. But if both clouds are very far apart (or in reversed orientations) it might not work so well.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin